Position Type: Internship
Open until Expired
USUO is seeking a part-time Public Relations Intern to assist the Public Relations Director with expanding media relations efforts and placement. Intern would be responsible for drafting press releases and PSAs, updating and managing media lists, distributing relevant press materials to media in advance of their deadlines, monitoring and tracking media clips into our library, assisting with content generation and coordination for patron relations project, conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles to the media and assisting the Marketing Department with any other projects as necessary. Hours are flexible and will be determined prior to the internship. Internship duration will also be determined based on mutual company and intern needs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases
- Creating talking points to prep USUO executive for on air/camera interviews
- Writing PSAs (public service announcements)
- Submit PSAs to community calendars
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Writing stories for publication on blog, playbill and social media
- Assisting in social media execution on platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Research and content production for patron relations project
- Creating, updating and maintaining media lists
- Monitoring and tracking media clips in an organized manner
- Pitching regional stories to local publications
- Conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles and human interest stories to media
This position is unpaid, but can be taken for college credit. Other benefits include complimentary and discount tickets to performances, experience working in media relations and an increased understanding of arts marketing and promotions. Internship runs September through December.
Ideal candidate should be a recent graduate or current student of Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications at an accredited university and have excellent written and verbal communication, and familiarity with journalistic AP Style. Experience writing news stories or marketing copy is a plus. Other important qualifications include an ability to meet deadlines, an assertive and creative work approach, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, reliability and consistency. Candidate should understand the value of producing effective results over mere efficiency. Knowledge of classical music is also a plus. Access to a vehicle is not mandatory.
Interested applicants should email a current resume, cover letter and writing samples to Renée Huang, firstname.lastname@example.org, with "PR Internship" in the subject line by September 20, 2017.