Auto Shop Intern - NPS - Bryce Canyon #32113
Position Type: Internship
Open until Thu, April 1, 2021
Work Hours: 40
Location: Cedar City, UT
Schedule: TBD. This position may require weekend work.
Dates: 05-17-2021 - 08-27-2021
Agency: National Park Service
Location: Bryce Canyon National Park
This exciting internship involves learning to plan for maintenance and administration of a diverse fleet of equipment that serves all divisions within the Park. The intern will participate in basic fleet maintenance such as changing tires and performing preventative repairs. Interaction with other divisions and customer service is a critical part of the shop’s mission to keep all equipment in service. Join the team to learn more about this exciting part of the “behind-the-scenes” of Bryce NP. This position will require lifting mounted tires and other physical activities that may be strenuous.
- Assisting in the maintenance of equipment ranging from handheld equipment to heavy machinery.
- Assisting in fieldwork to include remote vehicle and equipment repairs.
- Coordinating with the user of the equipment to facilitate the scheduling of services.
- General shop administrative work in vendor research, material ordering, and expense tracking.
- General housekeeping of the shop to maintain a safe working environment to include learning about and coordinating safe and environmentally responsible disposal of waste products and recyclable materials.
- Ability to learn how to use the computer-aided equipment repair manuals.
- Ability to use hand and power tools to assist the mechanics in the maintenance of fleet vehicles. This may include short hikes to locations where backcountry equipment requires maintenance.
- Ability to use a computer to research and catalog vendor sources for replacement parts and tools.
- Ability to use the computer to track vehicle maintenance expenditures and reconcile credit card statements.