Biological Science Technician - Fisheries #32227
Position Type: Internship
Open until Fri, April 23, 2021
Work Hours: 40
Location: Cedar City, UT
Schedule: Monday-Thursday approximately 7am-5:30pm
Dates: 05-10-2021 - 08-27-2021
Agency: United States Forest Service
Assist the Fishlake National Forest fisheries program in aquatics species and habitat monitoring, data collection, and data entry. Housing is not provided.
Conduct field work including fish population monitoring via electrofishing, native cutthroat trout recovery work, amphibian data collection using visual encounter surveys and PIT tagging, macroinvertebrate sampling, and water quality analysis. Occasional office work will include data entry and report writing. Other duties as assigned. Candidates must be willing to hike several miles in a day in rugged terrain with a heavy pack, drive in remote locations on rough roads, and work outdoors in adverse weather conditions. Occasional camping in the field may be required.
- A valid driver’s license
- The ability to work effectively and independently for long hours in the field
- A working knowledge of GPS and 4x4 vehicle operation
- Occasional ATV use. ATV use would require certification conducted on the Forest
- Fish identification and basic fish biology/habitat knowledge
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good communication skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well in a group
- Electroshocking experience desirable but not required
- Please provide a copy of your college transcripts.