Student Research Assistant #35246
Position Type: Internships
Open until filled
Work Hours: 20-40
Location: Cedar City, UT
Schedule: M-F, flexible hours. Up to 20 Hours/Week during the Semester. Up to 40 Hours/Week during breaks/summer. Dates: 10-01-2021 - 10-01-2022 Agency: Forest Inventory Analysis Location: Cedar City, UT
The primary focus of a Research Assistant supporting the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Information Management Cost Share Agreement will be to participate in a student-centered program that provides real-world professional experience. This program is envisioned as a multidisciplinary project involving students interested in computer application development, software testing, GIS application development, and land management and monitoring processes. Duties and responsibilities will include general information gathering, reporting, testing and working with the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), and Southern Utah University (SUU) staff on the Design and Analysis Toolkit for Inventory and Monitoring (DATIM) Project. Training will be provided upon hiring.
- Various application testing including quality assurance and Section 508 compliance testing.
- Assist with technical documentation of team processes and application use.
- Attend and take notes for conference calls with FIA cooperators.
- Assist with the development of training materials, including videos, for Forest Service application users.
- Attend project meetings and provide updates as needed.
- Apply critical thinking skills to problem solve and create new projects.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Enrollment in an undergraduate degree program preferably in the life sciences, multidisciplinary, or computer related program.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills required.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work unsupervised.
- Great communication skills both in person and in writing.
- Experience with land management agencies is helpful but not required.
- Experience with computer database operations is helpful but not required.
- Experience with Adobe applications is helpful but not required.