Disability Resource Center Peer Mentor
- Category: On-Campus
- Position Type:
- Open until: filled
- Work Hours: 10-12 hours per week
- Wage: $12/hr
- Location: Cedar City, UT
Peer mentors at the SUU Disability Resource Center (DRC) work with a student cohort of 6-8 students for the 2023-2024 academic year. Training will be offered at the beginning of fall semester and peer mentoring positions are for the full academic year: fall & spring semester.
Peer mentors coordinate, develop and guide/instruct DRC students in weekly meetings that could include:
- Time management: creating and implementing a weekly academic and personal schedule.
- Goal-setting, study strategies and exam preparedness.
- Communication relating to social situations, as well as in university settings.
- Academic skill development, budgeting techniques and soft skill instruction.
- Campus tours with introduction and exposure to campus resources.
- Stress management and self-advocacy advice.
- Resume assistance, job search guidance, interview helps, registration assistance, financial aid and scholarship applications.
A qualified peer mentor should be or have the following characteristics:
- A current junior or senior at SUU with minimum 3.5 GPA.
- Experience working with or a desire to work with persons with disabilities.
- Effective time management, organization, professional development, study, and social skills.
- Compassionate, patient, resourceful and willing to learn alongside their student cohort.
- Ability to individualize instruction that aligns with each student's needs.
- Familiarity of SUU resources and how to use them.