As a Student Liaison, you are expected to serve as a role model to new and continuing students in Utah Health Scholars. Student Liaisons are leaders academically and socially. Student Liaisons must be comfortable and competent in the following areas:
- Serving as a mentor to current UHS students in class selection and preparation for graduate school.
- Speaking well and representing positively at all times the UHS program and SUU overall.
- Serving as a tutor to all UHS students.
- Sitting on student panels.
- Facilitating seminar discussions.
- Understanding privacy regulations and student rights.
- Understanding the importance of experiences (including service, leadership, research, etc.) besides academics.
The Student Liaisons will need to assume leadership responsibilities beyond those required of new and current UHS students. Student Liaisons will assist in educating new students about the value and importance of UHS, the necessity of high-quality service, and the expectations of our program and staff. Student Liaisons will act as role models for all other UHS students by encouraging personal skill development and setting high academic standards.
- Hours: During the academic year, Student Liaisons will work anywhere from 2-20 hours in the office per week. Generally very few Student Liaisons are needed during the summer, and hours vary depending on events. Some night and weekend hours may be expected.
- Dates: Most Student Liaisons are hired during the school year to work during fall and spring semesters. 1-2 Student Liaisons may be hired for the summer for limited hours.
- Number of positions available: 5-10 Student Liaisons per semester, depending on need and budgetary constraints.
- Training: Student Liaisons must attend mandatory training before the fall semester begins. The content covered is essential to student success in the role of Student Liaison. Training this year will be held after the start of the Fall semester.
- Student Liaisons must be current members of Utah Health Scholars, have already applied to graduate schools or nursing programs, and be in the process of interviewing/acceptance into graduate programs.
- Student Liaisons must be either enrolled as an SUU student or a recent graduate of SUU.
- Student Liaisons must be highly competitive applicants to graduate programs based on assessment and information from UHS staff members.
- Student Liaisons must be able to multitask and complete items without being asked to do so.
- Strong organizational and time management skills are a must.
- Must also be available for Student Liaison training.