The Assistant Teacher/Classroom Aide works under the direction of the SUU Center for Hope Director and Lead Teachers to assist with children ages 0-6 years old. The Assistant Teacher will work alongside the lead teacher and other student employees to provide a safe, high quality learning environment in addition to meeting the childrens' basic needs. This position may also assist with other duties including doing laundry, and cleaning and sanitizing toys.
Classrooms are divided by age groups (0-12 months, 12-18 months, 18 months-3 years, 3-5 year, etc). Depending on the age of the child, duties may include infant care (feeding, diapering, naptime, etc), supervising children, monitoring safety and health of children, setting up, maintaining, cleaning up play spaces, supporting conflict resolution between children, providing positive guidance, singing, games, reading stories, and any other classroom tasks as assigned by the Lead Teacher or Child Care Director. Teachers/Aides should model respectful behavior, appropriate hygiene and manners, and social skills. Teachers/Aides must also commit to ongoing training and professional development.
- Experience with young children in child care, preschool, and/or other settings is preferred but not required.
- Currently enrolled at Southern Utah University
- Complete required preservice training after hire
- Must be supportive of the SUU Child Care Center vision, policies and procedures
- Must be willing to abide by the SUU Code of Conduct
- Must demonstrate ability to work respectfully with low-income children and families, those with special needs, and families with diverse ethnic backgrounds
- Must be able to pass a Child Care Licensing Background Check and must not have a substantiated case of child abuse on record.
- Must be willing and able to implement the SUU approach to individualizing curriculum development.
- Must be able to work in a team with parents, coordinators, family advocates, teachers and other professionals to meet the needs of the children and families served.
- Must have availability to work at least 3 hours at a time and can commit to at least 15 hours a week.