About This Scholarship

Donor Biography

June grew up in Parowan, UT, graduated as valedictorian from the Branch Agricultural College (now Southern Utah University), receiving one of the first ever four-year degrees in Elementary Education, and a double minor in English and music in 1950. She married Jay Grant Thorley July 16, 1948 in St. George.

After her husband's passing in 1965, she raised her six minor children by teaching music in the public schools and at home for forty years and influenced the lives of thousands. June was an active member of her Church and served continually in the church and the community providing music at countless weddings, funerals and community events. Her hobby was hauling basses, cellos, and music stands (and a few violins that were useful when a student forgot to bring their own). She was a string music leader in the Cedar City School System and her involvement with the College Community Orchestra and Ladies Faculty Association.

The June Thorley family decided to donate part of the family property to Southern Utah University using a charitable remainder trust. This endowment benefits Music majors in the College of Performing & Visual Arts. The Thorley family perpetuate this legacy of generosity and are helping to build a better SUU.

Scholarship Criteria

Is awarded to Music majors in the College of Performing & Visual Arts with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Recipients will also be granted a Leavitt Housing Scholarship. The housing scholarship will cover 75% of rent and the recipient will be responsible for the other 25%.


Performing and Visual Arts




Varied Dollars/yr


  • Opening: November 1
  • Final: March 1

If you any questions about your financial aid or need help applying for a scholarship you can contact the Financial Aid Office at finaid@suu.edu or call (435) 586-7735.